Anchor Lodge was built in 1910, by R.E. Lee Steiner and his wife, Belle Golden Steiner. Both the Steiners and the Goldens had been among the early day Salem families who came over to Neskowin to camp, as early as the 1880s. The camp-ground area was on the N. end of South Beach, where the 2 creeks converge.
The building materials for the house were hauled down the beach to the site. The lumber came from a mill on the upper Nestucca River, and the windows (the “Belgian glass”) were shipped in to Pacific City. The Fry family, close friends, built the house next door. The Apperson family built the house 2 doors away. (later owned by the Jarman family) These 3 houses are some of the oldest houses in Neskowin.
The anchor was brought up to the house in about 1912. It was from the old shipwreck near the rocks on the S. end of the beach. Fred Scherzinger, who had the dairy farm just S. of the house, used a team of horses pulling a “sled” to haul the anchor up to the house. Fred and Mamie Scherzinger had about 30-40 cows, a barn, and a home on their farm. They pastured the cows in the meadow along Neskowin Creek (where Hwy. 101 is now), and brought the cows back and forth along the road every day.
The kitchen of the house had a wood stove, which was used for cooking and for heat. It was replaced with an electric stove in the 1940s. The wood-burning furnace in the basement gave out great heat, until it was destroyed when the ocean hit the house in 1976.
The waterfall, pathway, and stone bench below the anchor were added in 1920. Milton Steiner designed this and did most of the work. The bell on the porch was a gift from Carl Gerlinger, a friend of the Steiners, in about 1920. The bell is from one of his logging train engines. The Monterrey Cypress tree was probably planted some time in the 1930s.
In the 1940s, during World War II, all the windows had heavy black-out shades, which had to cover the windows at night, so that enemy subs could not see where the coastline was. Also, during the war, soldiers were stationed at Hart’s Cove, and hiked back and forth on that trail to Neskowin, where they also had a place to stay.
The building materials for the house were hauled down the beach to the site. The lumber came from a mill on the upper Nestucca River, and the windows (the “Belgian glass”) were shipped in to Pacific City. The Fry family, close friends, built the house next door. The Apperson family built the house 2 doors away. (later owned by the Jarman family) These 3 houses are some of the oldest houses in Neskowin.
The anchor was brought up to the house in about 1912. It was from the old shipwreck near the rocks on the S. end of the beach. Fred Scherzinger, who had the dairy farm just S. of the house, used a team of horses pulling a “sled” to haul the anchor up to the house. Fred and Mamie Scherzinger had about 30-40 cows, a barn, and a home on their farm. They pastured the cows in the meadow along Neskowin Creek (where Hwy. 101 is now), and brought the cows back and forth along the road every day.
The kitchen of the house had a wood stove, which was used for cooking and for heat. It was replaced with an electric stove in the 1940s. The wood-burning furnace in the basement gave out great heat, until it was destroyed when the ocean hit the house in 1976.
The waterfall, pathway, and stone bench below the anchor were added in 1920. Milton Steiner designed this and did most of the work. The bell on the porch was a gift from Carl Gerlinger, a friend of the Steiners, in about 1920. The bell is from one of his logging train engines. The Monterrey Cypress tree was probably planted some time in the 1930s.
In the 1940s, during World War II, all the windows had heavy black-out shades, which had to cover the windows at night, so that enemy subs could not see where the coastline was. Also, during the war, soldiers were stationed at Hart’s Cove, and hiked back and forth on that trail to Neskowin, where they also had a place to stay.